2.02.2007

Opus Dei

I used to listen to a lot of Laibach until I just couldn't take the synthesizers anymore. They perform their music a little too well and I didn't want to get sucked into too much tolerance for digital music. I've got to defend analogue. (Devo is a whole other case and really are much more rock and roll than I think most people realize.) I was slowly getting sucked into "techno" and "industrial" even though I wouldn't necessarily classify Laibach as such.
Years ago, Laibach had fascinated me, however, with their heavy, stark imagery, hinting at fascism in their highly stylized performances yet "...are fascists as much as Hitler was a painter." Hailing from the former Yugoslav republic of Slovenia, the four member band developed a whole mythology of their own. I've seen satire used to describe what they're doing, but I've found their commentary to astute and direct, dismantling and defusing traditional symbols of oppression and reconstructing them into art. Very martial and Wagnerian. Much of their art still influences me indirectly today.
Video will probably do better...

Related is the Neue Slowenische Kunst (New Collectivism Studio).
From their website:
Retro avant-garde is the basic artistic procedure of Neue Slowenische Kunst, based on the premise that traumas from the past affecting the present and the future can be healed only by returning to the initial conflicts.
"Become a citizen of the first global state of the universe, the state of NSK."

I wonder if they'll accept me if I'm enlisted in Dr. Steel's army?



Also, I have links products related to this post that are available at Amazon. These are not the primary reason for my posts, but if someone is interested I'll provide links and generate a little bit of revenue. Remember though, these are still ads and there's a whole litany of issues I have with that, I will at the end of each post that contains such ads provide a consumer protection alert.

WARNING! You have been exposed to marketing! While the source of the previous advertisements in no way means to condition your behavior, your previous experiences with ubiquitous marketing may have made you susceptible to participating in the consumer culture not entirely of free will. As with all marketing, take a moment and think about your exposure levels before proceeding.

No comments: