2.27.2007

Links - Nerdcore v. Hardcore

It seems there's a little fashion of music lately called Nerdcore. What is it? The few samples I've heard sound like oddball techno, with some scratching and rapping on top. Nothing "Core" about it. Core is derivative of Hardcore with core being inseparable from the meaning. While core represents something fundamental, it always implied the "hard." Even if one is to say "core" it suggests the Hard part and any music utilizing the term would thus be a derivative of Hardcore. Nerdcore for all its charm, isn't.
I'm not offended by the name. It's just coming across as basing your street cred on the work of others and that isn't too cool. I spent a lot of years as a kid literally fighting for the sake of alternative/sub-culture. You couldn't walk down the street with some clown giving you grief and wanting to do harm. Then maybe we'd fight. Provocation was the point. Now that it's safe, everybody's doing it. Safe isn't core nuthin'.
And for Rap, Hip Hop, whatever...just like today's RnR is corporatized yet packaged to look indi, same goes for most of the urban crap I hear out there. You want some Hardcore Rap/HipHop? Here ya go!
But I wax angrily. No fucking wonder I got an ulcer.

Hardcore came from the 1980's with my rough estimation of it's death to be around DRI's Crossover album in 1987 and the release of Kurt Cobain's Teen Spirit which placed a premium on bands signed to indi labels that THEY bought them all up and regurgitated something called Grunge.
Here's a sample of the Hardcore bands I listened to growing up:
The Exploited
M.D.C
Flipper
The Cramps
G.B.H.
D.O.A.
Dead Kennedy's
Reagan Youth
Decry
Descendants
Bad Brains
Circle Jerks
The Meatmen (Man, I can't think of them and not hear Tesco Vee going "We're the Meatmen and you suck!")
Angry Samoans
Suicidal Tendencies
Black Flag
Agnostic Front
Stiff Little Fingers
Fear
Peter and the Test Tube Babies

And what's up with this emo shit? I haven't heard it that I know of, but it doesn't sound promising.

I'm going to find my records....

A fairly accurate listing of Hardcore at Wikipedia.

A place to buy a lot of the old and new stuff. No recommendations implied by its listing here. Just a link.


No comments: