2.25.2007

The Drowned World



Some of the land/mindscapes from JG Ballard's The Drowned World have etched themselves into my subconscious mind. As I look toward (forward?) the accelerating bizarreness that is modern/future society/dystopia and the serious effects of global warming with its accompanying three to nine meter rise in ocean levels, I've been thinking "a boat. That's it, I'll get a boat replete with green power and deck guns to ward of the pirates."




I might be nuts, but at least I'll be prepared.
I'm thinking of maybe modifying something similar to a Huckins or a Higgins PT boat like this one.




More of The Drowned World at Wikipedia



If you want the book, here's one of many ways to buy it...

1 comment:

The Doctor said...

I've been thinking "a boat. That's it, I'll get a boat replete with green power and deck guns to ward of the pirates." I might be nuts, but at least I'll be prepared. I'm thinking of maybe modifying something similar to a Huckins or a Higgins PT boat like this one.

As you know, the same thought has crossed my mind. Leaping back to icons for a moment, if you ever get a chance to check out the canceled TV series Firefly (a cult favorite, so it's widely available on DVD) or it's spinoff film Serenity, (that's how culty it was, it was canceled but it still warranted a follow-up film) you'll understand how that and Malcolm Reynolds fits into this scenario, and why I'd call my boat Serenity. :)

Unfortunately, I can't afford a modified green PT boat at this time, so remember, if you ever need any crew, I've already typed up my application. ;)