3.02.2007

Links

I'd like to be more paranoid. But alas, the sad reality is that conspiracies are usually not that well organized, agendized, or competent. The flip side to that is that while no group of people are necessarily out to get you, the systems they create might.

27B Stroke 6
The title is taken from one of my favorite movies, Brazil. This Wired Magazine blog deals with tech security and civil liberty issues.


Intelligence Meditation
Intel people I think are creative people at their core. I am. I'm also a big picture, concept kinda guy. I like finding the truth. I like the little surprises that can come along with the truth. I don't like policy people. They tend to be bureaucrats and have no sense of personal power, so they tend to bully. Most intel folks I think would recognize that most shit doesn't need to be secret, and a highly paranoid and power hungry admin/ops tends to slow the intel cycle by making information way too compartmentalized. By the time it gets disseminated, the product's gone cold or at least luke warm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I are both former intel sorts (but from a very different age and mission), but yes, I think we are creative and that ultimately we realize certain kinds of secrecy is a societal poison. And of late, it really seems that so many perfectly ordinary people embrace small secrets as if there is some safety there. Glasnost, folks---not just for Soviets any more!

The Doctor said...

The title is taken from one of my favorite movies, Brazil.

Sam: Have you got a 27BStroke6?

Spoor: Not... as such... but we can get one!

Brazil was my favorite movie for around 15 years. Nothing actually replaced it, other movies just eventually caught up.

On DEprogramming Starter Kit you said "it's like a training manual" and it is.