6.25.2007

A house divided

People like to think class doesn't matter in the U.S. and that with enough pluck you can change your status of living.
Bullshit.
If I've said it once,I've said it a thousand times, THEY constantly pump the American Dream™ to keep people struggling for their Disneyland family and home. It is at the core of modern American Society. The struggle keeps our frail consumer driven economy going. Those that do very little but are in a position to profit from the system, skim from the top as the money wheel turns.
Talk like that will label me a Communist, but I'm not. I believe forces bigger than man are now in control. The systems consciousness comes from the millions of little share holders that keep needling the entity for more profit faster. Never is there a clause "unless it is evil."
With that I find this quite interesting...
Viewing American class divisions through Facebook and MySpace
Danah Boyd
June 24, 2007
The goodie two shoes, jocks, athletes, or other "good" kids are now going to Facebook. These kids tend to come from families who emphasize education and going to college. They are part of what we'd call hegemonic society. They are primarily white, but not exclusively. They are in honors classes, looking forward to the prom, and live in a world dictated by after school activities.

MySpace is still home for Latino/Hispanic teens, immigrant teens, "burnouts," "alternative kids," "art fags," punks, emos, goths, gangstas, queer kids, and other kids who didn't play into the dominant high school popularity paradigm. These are kids whose parents didn't go to college, who are expected to get a job when they finish high school. Teens who are really into music or in a band are on MySpace. MySpace has most of the kids who are socially ostracized at school because they are geeks, freaks, or queers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I am a mere dinosaur, in that I dislike both MySpace and Facebook.
I would like to experiment on my oh-so(not really)-evolved daughter who gets snobby and tell her this to see if she rapidly jumps from MySpace to Facebook, lol!

Ahenobarbus said...

Some things never change.