1.28.2007

Fallout & Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow

First...
I don't play a lot of computer games, but when I do it's got to be worth it. One of the most beautifully designed games, it had the most atmosphere of any game I've played. Very moody, dark sense of humor, and a good story. I actually cared for the characters in the game.
Venture out of the fallout shelter 80 years after the nuclear conflagration and travel the wastelands.
Check out this flick from the opening of the game.
Hone your post apocalyptic skills...
Fallout
Fallout II
No Mutants Allowed



Sky Captain actually came out in 2004 however, to help establish some of my aesthetic taste, here's a quick review. Visually brilliant, but in trying to be a little too camp, dragging out the implausible scenarios, the razor's edge escapes, and a multitude of settings, it gets lost. No, one doesn't have to throw in the kitchen sink to make a robust film. They should have stuck with what it really promised... an old fashioned serial. Keep the first story simple and then keep good stories coming ala Indiana Jones. I won't go into the plot much, you already know the story. Again, the issue was a lack of time to really give a shit about the characters.
Here's what you do. It's the 21st century, you make a retro style movie that would have had two dimensional characters, but in a hip ironic twist of the modern era you make them more real. Trust me, anyone who's gonna appreciate the style will be sophisticated enough to enjoy actual characters.
So much promise...It was too young to go. A shame.
If you've got a damp, rainy afternoon to kill and you're stuck on the couch with the flu, this could be just what the doctor ordered.
Trailer here.
The Wikipedia entry here.

2 comments:

The Doctor said...

Sky Captain's now on my list.

I come in and out of being an avid gamer myself. I never played Fallout but I remember hearing that it was an isometric, post-apocalyptic, cyberpunk-esque RPG and wanting to.

To this day, my favorite game of the dark future/cyberpunk genre remains a 1989 release called Shadowrun. Anticorporate hacking in future Seattle. Very cool.

And thanks for the link.

Blank Snag said...

Shadowrun sounds right up my alley.